Friday, June 4, 2010

6-3-10 I'll Pass for Your Comrade by Anita Silvey - Non-Fiction

3 - This book is about the women who served as soldiers in the Civil War (or the War between the States depending where you're located.) I was a little surprised at how short this book was (93 pages) but I thought it might be due to lack of information and research material. It turns out that because of misshelving at the library I checked out this young adult book because it was in adult history. Nevertheless, it was interesting. I never knew that there had been women on both sides of the conflict who had disguised themselves as men to fight with the armies. There weren't may, only a few hundred, but I'd never heard them mentioned. This is a good overview of the subject with many interesting individual stories and some great Civil War photographs and period illustrations. Silvey also mentions another book, They Fought Like Demons, that is "the most comprehensive book to date on women soldiers in the Civil War." So, now that my interest has been piqued, I may have to look for the adult history book on this subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment