Tuesday, May 25, 2010

5-9-10 Snakes in Suits by Paul Babiak and Robert D. Hare - Non-Fiction

3 - The subtitle of this book is "When Psychopaths go to the Office." I had to let you know that so my next sentence won't seem so batty. After reading this book, even though the authors warn against this repeatedly, I think everyone I know: my boyfriend, my mother-in-law, most of my bosses, our friends, me, everyone except my parents (because they're perfect. Hi Mom & Dad!) is a psychopath! This book is a very interesting look at how psychopaths (not serial killers necessarily) can not only blend into corporate America, but can thrive in the upper eschelons of business. The authors geared this book mainly toward employers so that can possibly avert disaster by watching for warning signs and behaviors. Still, this was interesting reading for the general public because they do try to explain the condition and behaviors so that a layperson can understand. My biggest problem with the book is the repetitiveness, sometimes complete sentences and paragraphs. That was a little frustrating. And I would have enjoyed a few more case studies/files from the real world too. All in all, if you are interested in personality disorders, the is a book you should add to your reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment