Monday, May 25, 2009

5-20-09 Fool by Christopher Moore – Fiction

3 – A strange retelling of King Lear from the fool’s point of view, Fool also incorporates characters from other Shakespeare plays.  Full of sex, violence, obscenities (correct for the time period of course), and comedy just as a Christopher Moore book should be.  I read King Lear when I was very young so I really don’t remember much of the story other than the basics: King Lear has three daughters who turn on him.  This almost made me want to read it again to see how the original story goes but Moore discourages this in the afterword because he admits he so altered the story and borrowed from so many other plays and that the original is going to be boring anyway after this version.  A good read for Moore fans but not one I’d recommend for a newbie.

No comments:

Post a Comment