Saturday, January 3, 2009

12-31-08 Inkheart by Cornelia Funke - Fiction

3 - It was OK. (I know I'll get bashed for this) This story feels very long and wasn't quite what I was expecting from the description and what I'd heard about it. I figured it would have a little more action, but the pacing was almost plodding. However, Funke can write emotions and make them feel tangible. The love between father and daughter is a palpable thing which was surprising to me. It's unusual to find that strength of emotion in a book; usually it is just understood or inferred from behavior or dialogue but Funke makes it real. The story itself runs very slowly and does not begin with Mo (the father) making book characters come alive. That has already happened and this story is about dealing with the consequences. I probably won't read the rest of the series, but overall it was OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment