Saturday, August 30, 2008

8-25-08 Brave New World by Aldous Huxley - Fiction

4 - Disturbing. I wasn't really ready for something so cerebral, but I wanted to finally read this title. After reading the first few chapters, I was horrified. The idea of growing humans to be what you want them to be and to do what you want them to do is disgusting. And then the conditioning of those humans from their infancy through adulthood is perverse. An entire consumer culture that perpetuates itself because of the need to use. Huxley, unfortunately, was a visionary, seeing a civilization that force feeds desires and drugs through repetitive suggestion and then uses those same things to control its populace. Don't misunderstand me, this is an excellent book and well written, but I really can't express how disgusting and disturbing I found it. I'm glad I read it, but I highly doubt I will ever read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment