Friday, June 13, 2008

6-11-08 Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson - Fiction

5 - This is actually a young reader book, but I would definitely recommend this as a good night story for your children. The idea for this book came from Pearson's daughter who, knowing the story of Peter Pan, wanted to know how Peter met Captain Hook. This is that story. The chapters are very short, some only 1 1/2 pages, and are ideal for a bedtime story. The only downside is your child will learn the word "idjit" as Black Stache (later known as Captain Hook) used this word often with his crew. This is a fabulous and exciting story well deserving of the label "prequel" to Peter Pan.

2 comments:

  1. While I do agree that Peter and the Starcatchers is a wonderfully exciting and fun tale, I must disagree with it being worthy of being called a prequel. Barrie already wrote a backstory on Peter Pan and Starcatchers contradicts it entirely. It's really more a prequel to the Disney movie, I think. Interestingly, all the prequels and sequels out there contradict Barrie. Except one.
    Click on my name for the announcement page.
    Thanks for loving Peter Pan (in any form.)
    Believe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit, I'm of the Disney generation and I did not know that Barrie had written any backstory. But hey, the sincerest form of flattery in the book world, I think, is the expanding of or reimagining of an author's story. It doesn't necessarily matter if it's good or not, but if it gets someone to try the original I think it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete