Monday, November 26, 2007

Freya's Holiday Suggestions

This time of year sucks for so many. 'What do I get _______? I know, a book! But what would they like?' (Yes, I see the desperate every year in the bookstore) So, I'm going to give a little bit of general help to the wide world instead of just the store I work in. If you would like a more personal recommendation, feel free to e-mail me. I'm very good at this, just ask my Dad. (OK, he might be a little biased, but I really am good at this!) Most of these recommendations have a review somewhere on my blog. Even if they don't, I only recommend stuff I've read. I'll note HC (hardcover) or PB (paperback) for each, not all may be available in both. And if there's anything weird or special about a title, I'll let you know that too.

For the foodie: 'Heat' (PB), 'The Year of Eating Dangerously' (HC)
For the Harry Potter or Eragon fan: The Pit Dragon trilogy by Jane Yolen 'Dragon's Blood', 'Heart's Blood', 'A Sending of Dragons'. (PB or box set)
For the teen girl: The Stephanie Meyer set 'Twilight' (HC/PB), 'New Moon' (HC), 'Eclipse' (HC)
For the teen boy: The Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan 'The Ruins of Gorlan' (HC/PB), 'The Burning Bridge' (HC/PB), 'The Icebound Land' (HC)
For the horror buff: 'Heart-Shaped Box' (HC/PB), 'I Am Legend' (PB)
For the world traveler: 'American Shaolin' (HC/PB in Dec), 'The Year of Eating Dangerously' (HC)
For the action buff: 'Empire' (HC/PB tomorrow!), 'Creepers' (PB), 'The Black Sun' (HC/PB tomorrow!)
For the romantic: 'Mystic & Rider' (PB), 'Twilight' (HC/PB), 'Archangel' (PB)
For the sci-fi junkie: 'Santiago' (PB), 'Starship Troopers' (PB), 'Idlewild' (PB)
For the fantasy junkie: 'Acacia' (HC), The First Demon Wars Saga by R.A. Salvatore 'The Demon Awakens', 'The Demon Spirit', 'The Demon Apostle' (PB)
For the zombie lover: 'World War Z' (PB), 'The Zombie Survival Guide' (PB)
For the freaky friend (you know we all have one): 'The Stupidest Angel' (HC), 'A Dirty Job' (PB), 'Apathy and Other Small Victories' (PB)

Most of these should be pretty commonly found in any bookstore or on-line.

No comments:

Post a Comment