Thursday, July 19, 2007

7-7-07 Acacia by David Anthony Durham - Fiction

4 - I picked this up because of a review in 'Entertainment Weekly' and I'm glad I did. I don't fully agree with the plot description in that review (nothing like the Narnia kids), so I'll give my own. This book, which is split into three books within, has the potential to become a great epic fantasy series (or trilogy. No idea of how many there may end up being). The story is about four royal siblings and their father's reign. Admittedly, the first book is interesting, but not exactly compelling in plot. But, trust me, there are important background notes and once you're through this book, the story really takes off. The second book sees the siblings 12 (?) years later having been scattered to the four corners of the known world almost literally. Seeing how each sibling has grown since their days of togetherness in the castle is an interesting sturdy in nature, nurture, duty, and leadership. Once the siblings start to assemble in the third book, the plot is set and the figurative shit begins to hit the fan. I look forward to the next Acacia novel because the outcome of this story is still very much up in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment